Second person sues Watertown urgent care facility over allegedly contaminated IV

By JEN JACKSON & MIRANDA MATERAZZO

PUBLISHED: SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 25, 2017 AT 12:30 AM

https://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20171125/NEWS03/171129081

WATERTOWN — A lawsuit filed in state Supreme Court Wednesday alleges that a Henderson woman became seriously ill from an infection suffered after being treated at a Watertown urgent-care clinic.

Abagail Tamblin was allegedly injected with a contaminated intravenous solution while being treated at Med­Ready Urgent Care on Dec. 20, 2014. This is the second time MedReady and the manufacturers of Wallcurr IV solutions have been subjects of a similar lawsuit locally.

According to a complaint filed in Supreme Court, Ms. Tamblin was administered a non-sterile solution — made only for training and educational use — by practitioners at MedReady Urgent Care on U.S. Route 11. The manufacturer, Wallcur LLC, San Diego, Calif., is also named in the summons because the practice IV bags made their way into the supply chain of medical care facilities in multiple states, including New York.

The documents allege that Ms. Tamblin sought treatment for flu-like symptoms at MedReady Urgent Care on Dec. 20, 2014. Physician Assistant Christopher G. Symenow and an unnamed nurse determined Ms. Tamblin needed IV fluids.

She was instead administered the Wallcur practice IV bag and “her condition significantly worsened and she became seriously ill.” According to the lawsuit, the IV was “not sterile, (was) not fit for use in the treatment of humans, and contained various dangerous and harmful contaminants and bacteria.”

Mr. Symenow, the unnamed nurse and MedReady operator Dr. Paula S. Curtis are alleged to have negligently failed to adequately inspect the bag before treating Ms. Tamblin.

Wallcur is alleged to have improperly labeled and shipped the IV bags to patient care facilities.

In 2015 an Adams teen’s adverse reaction to one of the same IV bags may have been what triggered a national recall of the product, according to Syracuse attorney Donald S. DiBenedetto.

Kyra R. Kempney was allegedly administered the solution on Dec. 19, 2014, at the same urgent care center. Shortly after the fluids were provided, her condition worsened and she was taken to Samaritan Medical Center. She was diagnosed with septic shock, a potentially life-threatening complication of an infection. She spent five days in the hospital’s intensive care unit.

Mr. DiBenedetto, Syracuse, is representing Ms. Kempney in her suit, which is ongoing, and is currently representing Ms. Tamblin. He was unavailable for comment Friday.

In Ms. Kempney’s case, Mr. DiBenedetto said that Dr. Curtis recognized that the IV solution may have contained bacteria or other contaminants and notified both the state Department of Health and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The FDA opened an investigation, and in late December, alerted health care professionals that some of Wallcur’s IV solutions intended for training purposes had been distributed to health care facilities, and cautioned professionals not to use the products on humans or animals. Wallcur initiated a recall of the product.

The FDA reported in April 2015 that it was aware of 40 patients across several states who received the simulated solution, with 26 patients reporting adverse reactions, including fevers, chills, tremors and headaches. Of the 26 sickened patients, 11 required hospitalization, the FDA said. Depositions for Ms. Kempney’s lawsuit were completed over this past summer.

Jen JacksonComment